The S.T.A.R.S. of West G. Shine in April

Autism Awareness Month Hits West Geauga in April

According to the Interactive Autism Network, 1 of every 68 children born in the United States currently has Autism. A total of 3.5 million people also have some type of Autism Spectrum Disorder. Most shockingly 63% students with Autism between the ages of 6 and 15 have been bullied.

Here at West Geauga High School our S.T.A.R. students (Specialized Teaching for Students with Autism & Resource Support) have decided to help raise awareness and encourage kindness. The month of April is Autism Awareness Month. As such, this month our students are encouraging kindness and doing good deeds. Each time a student is “caught” doing a good deed, s/he will write his/her name down on a strip of paper. At the end of the month, the S.T.A.R. students and staff will create a kindness chain.   This kindness chain, with each grade level having a different color, is composed of the strips of paper with the names on them and will be hung throughout the hallways of the school.

Another way West Geauga High School is showing support during Autism Awareness month is Autism Awareness ribbons. This is a small ribbon that can be pinned anywhere so someone will be able to look at it and be reminded of Autism. The fabric features a puzzle piece pattern of many different colors. The puzzle pieces represent the mystery and complexity of Autism and the different colors and shapes represent the diversity of people and families living with Autism. The brightness of this ribbon represents hope. Hope through research and in the increasing awareness of people !

All students and staff members are encouraged to take a trip down to Mrs. Sara Demuch’s room at the high school and visit her and the S.T.A.R. students. Feel free to grab a ribbon while you’re there. Please support Autism Awareness month.