A Podium STATE of Mind

Fornaro and Goodrich Earn State Medals this past Winter

Being an athlete who dominates a sport is tough; it is also tough to balance sports with academic responsibilities. However, these challenges have not stopped sophomore Kami Goodrick and senior Joe Fornaro from earning medals in state tournaments and becoming the two students of the month for January and February, 2016.

Joe Fornaro finished in 6th place for the Ohio Division II State Wrestling Tournament; he finished the 2015-2016 season with 33 wins and 11 losses. Joey also was the gold medal winner in the Chagrin Valley Conference, finishing as conference champion. He won 121 total matches during his four years as a varsity wrestler; this achievement has pushed Joey into fifth place for all-time number of wins.

Despite Kami’s status as a sophomore, she still managed to place third in the district competition for swimming and diving. She then went on to beat the district champion and took third place in the state diving tournament. All of this was done while Kami recovered from a painful and serious knee injury that would keep most people from competing. “I wasn’t expecting to do well because of the cyst in my knee,” she explained, “but I came out third in the state.”

The ability of these two high school student athletes to achieve such high levels of academic and athletic excellence is something the school should and will be proud of them for.