Live a Life, Give a Life

Organ Donation Returns to the Center Stage in April

Live a Life, Give a Life

National Donate Life month is here! Every year during the month of April, there are activities and events to help support organ donation. Throughout the month, Americans are encouraged to register as a donor and past heroes are celebrated. West Geauga High School is and has been participating in spreading the word about donation.

To date, I’ve done multiple events to involve the students and staff at the high school. I organized a day in health class to bring in LifeBanc volunteers to help educate about organ donation. A poster was created, promoting facts that will be hanging year – round in Mr. Mikes’ room. Green ribbon magnets were also created and passed out to students after the presentation and there are plenty left for future students to receive. After a day of teaching 4 health classes with Walt and Kathy Iliff, we were able to reach about 60 students. Students were encouraged to speak with their parents/guardians about their decision as to whether to be a donor or not. This is a very sensitive and significant matter that deserves to be talked about. Students were not pressured during the classes, simply just given facts and heartfelt stories about organ donation. I made a survey for the students in order to collect data on how useful the presentation was and how they felt about the topic. The answers are anonymous and are linked below if you are interested in the results.

A day at the Mayfield Heights BMV was also held in honor of organ donation. I gathered a team of friends, fellow girl scouts, and family to create 300 fact cards that were distributed to customers of the BMV. Everyone we encountered was very kind and accepting of the volunteering we were doing. Many people thanked us for our time and dedication in supporting organ donation. Current donors and new donors who said “yes” on February 13th received the same green ribbons given to the students in the health classes. The green ribbon represents organ donation and will remind the donors every day that they have the potential to save 8 lives.

I also hand wrote 21 letters that were distributed to residents at the Transplant House of Cleveland. These were letters of hope and kind quotes for the people waiting for their lifesaving transplants and for the residents recovering from their surgeries. I was lucky enough to visit with some of the residents there. One special girl I spoke with has been waiting for 4 organs since July of 2014. There are so many people right here in Northeast Ohio who need a hero, so please do not hesitate to become an organ donor if you are in favor of that option.

Lastly, I would like to personally thank, Lifebanc’s education coordinator, Dianna Phillips. She is truly amazing and I would not have been able to accomplish everything I did without her.

Survey Results.docx