West Geauga Seniors Take the Runway

After Prom Fashion Show Rocks the House on 1/31/16

Mike and Jenna Strut Their Stuff on the Runway

In the spring of 1984, several parents had a great idea here at West G: to provide a safe, kid – friendly, drug and alcohol free alternative to all the potentially poor decisions students could make right after leaving their Senior Prom ! After Prom was born and 30+ years later that tradition continues. But who pays for it ? Who organizes and runs it ?

For the past few years, West Geauga’s After Prom Committee has been doing a fashion show to raise money. Prior to that West Geauga’s Interact club sponsored the fashion show. The event showcases prom attire, as well as vendors that provide prom or graduation related services or products. The event included a fashion show, vendor area, basket raffles, and other raffles throughout the event. The fashion show took place on January 31st in the West Geauga High School gym. Advance tickets were sold the week of January 25th during lunch at the high School. Students/Seniors paid $5.00 and it was $7.00 for all others. Day – of – Show tickets at the door were $8.00.

Mrs. Holly Blazek volunteered at one of the meetings to be the chair of the fashion show. The show took the committee a few months to prepare and about eight hours to set up on the Saturday before the event. The students are very thankful for all of the parents who took part in planning and setting up the event.

Students who were interested in modeling signed up for the fashion show during their lunch periods. Many of the students were very excited to take part in this show and to be onstage. There were 39 senior models, one student photographer and one student assistant.

There were slightly over two hundred guests in attendance for the show. There was an immense amount of energy and enthusiasm on the runway, as cameras shined on some of the West Geauga seniors as they “worked” the runway in support of their after prom. Senior Gerhard Hickey noted, “People will stare. Make it worth their while.” From the looks of things, the seniors had a great time walking the runway with their fellow classmates.

Mrs. Blazek said, “They had so much fun on stage and were truly a great group of kids to work with!”

The fashion show raised approximately $2100, which will be used to provide a safe after prom event for the seniors and their guests. The 2016 fashion show was a huge success for the senior class.