Hoopin’ It…Hopin’ It…Helpin’ It

Hoops For Hope Raises Cash

DJ Shaq MC Bailey

DJ Shaq MC Bailey

Students at West Geauga High School have always been very generous when it comes to important causes. In December, just prior to the 2015 holiday break, Hoops for Hope took place in the gym. This is an organization, where kids and teachers pay to participate in basketball shooting contests, with the money going towards cancer research, prevention, and education.  This fundraiser is put on through the American Cancer Society.

For being a first time event at West G, there was phenomenal participation. The organization’s representative, Ms. Rachel McKelvey, said, “I’ve been extremely impressed with the participation and engagement for Relay for Life and Hoops for Hope with the West G students and faculty.”

There were 11 students and 4 teachers who took part in the event.  For the 9th and 10th grade division, the winner was Nico Morgano. He made 8 out of his 10 shots. In the 11th and 12th grade division, Cole Khas and Zach Suba tied with 7 points each. During their West Geauga basketball practice later that evening, they had a “shootout” to see who the winner would be. Suba made 5 of 5 shots and Khas made 3 out of 5 shots. Advantage, Zach !

Ms. Danielle Emans took the lead with 10 out of 10 shots and won in the teacher division.

Nico, Zach, and Ms. Emans have advanced to the regional competition that will take place on Saturday, January 23rd. The winners from these divisions will then move forward to the final completion, on February 6th at the Quicken Loans Arena.

Big thanks to English teacher, Mrs. Cindy O’Janpa for putting together this effort in conjunction with the American Cancer Society.  According to Mrs. O.J., the student and adult participants raised $230 for cancer research. Thanks also to our athletic director, Mr. Joe Leonette, for setting up the music system and scoreboard so our students could relax and enjoy the event.

The winners of the basketball shooting are rewarded with tickets to a Cavs game that is held later that evening. Helping cure cancer makes everyone a winner, though !