New Feats for Other Decathletes

Academic Decathlon Sets Up

Courtesy Pastor Photo

A new version of an “old” club is on the rise at our very own West Geauga High School. This club has existed for many years but has remained rather ambiguous, although successful. In the early 2000’s, this team even made it to the national competition! What club is this do you ask? It’s Academic Decathalon!

You might have witnessed different Academic Decathalon teams from around our area on weeknight television stations. Teams answer a series of academic or knowledge-based questions, scoring points to defeat their opponents.  The purpose of the club is to give students an opportunity to engage in a friendly competition, while using what they know to help each member grow as a student and become confident in his or her abilities.

This year, the West Geauga team consists of five members, including Rachel Bobango, Elias DelVal, Brooke Kirkwood, Lexi Ober, and Valerie Rubin. Their first meeting was held in October, and, since then, the squad has been preparing vigorously for its competitions. They will be competing versus area schools of similar size and experience in the Decathalon program.

The team is headed by math teacher, Mr. Ethan Teare, who stepped up to the plate when he learned that the program needed an advisor. “Mr. Bishop asked me if I would be interested and I decided to give it a try. The club is a great opportunity for students,” said Mr. Teare.

This year, the team is preparing for the 10 different parts that each competition consists of. For the 2015-2016 school year, seven of these parts focus on the country of India. As such, the West Geauga team is learning a curriculum that heavily focuses on India.

The team has a variety of goals that include experiencing a competition and noting what it takes to do well, providing a good foundation for the new members of the team, and, most importantly, having fun.

We wish the team the best of luck this year.