High School Heisman Hype Hits West Geauga

Fornaro Earns Recognition

Fornaro Strikes the Pose

Best known as a captain on West Geauga’s football team, senior Joe Fornaro has won a 2015 Wendy’s High School Heisman award. The Heisman Trophy is an award given annually to an athlete designated as the Outstanding College Football Player in the United States. Wendy’s created the High School Heisman for senior boy and girl high school athletes who excel in learning, performing, and leading.

For the application process, a school official has to review your application. Once he or she is chosen, the candidate writes an essay on how s/he learns, performs, and leads in the community and then completes an eligibility quiz to meet the academic and athletic requirements. Lastly, one has to submit the application and look over it with a reviewer.

Joe participates in school activities like football, wrestling, and track. “There wasn’t a day at practice where he didn’t set up the field or clean up after practice. If there was a guy I could count on to get something done, it was him,” said Coach Lou Cirino, the head football coach. After football season, Joey heads right into wrestling, supporting his team as a captain. Wrestling coach Mr. Joe Marino said, “For his first three years, Joe went above and beyond. I hope it pays off for his fourth year as a senior.” Joey is looking forward to his last year wrestling as a Wolverine and is currently pre – season ranked in the “top 10” in Ohio.

Off the field Joe excels in the classroom with a 3.8 GPA, as well. He has applied to the US Naval Academy in Annapolis and hopes to serve his country. Joe is also a member of student council and Interact club. During his free time, he enjoys volunteering for the youth football Lions Club and youth wrestling.

Joey will receive a Wendy’s High School Heisman State Winner patch, an official winner medal, and a $50 gift card to Wendy’s. Not only did Joe’s excellence reward him, but it also earned the school the feeling of accomplishment and a $1000 donation in Joey’s name. When asked about how he felt about winning this award, Joey replied with, “I’m excited for the gift card.”

For more information on The Wendy’s High School Heisman go to their website at https://www.wendyshighschoolheisman.com