Veterans’ Day Part II

West Geauga welcomes vets to celebrate and commemorate our nation’s heroes

Veterans' Day Part II

On Wednesday Nov. 11th West Geauga High School had a visit from a few special guests, one even being a West G alumni. The day started with five Veterans from Chardon VFW Post 6519 performing a flag ceremony during the National Anthem that was played by a small student led pep band. Speeches were presented from the Veterans and Girl Scout Troops. It was a very special day. The school was decorated in red, white and blue, along with many posters hung throughout the building. The band also played America the Beautiful, and it was a truly amazing event.

After the flag ceremony, history classes headed down to Room 124 in the high school for a question and answer session led by vice principal, Mr. Mike Murawski. Many unforgettable stories were shared. When asked, all of the Veterans echoed the same sentiment: “[We} would do it all over again in a heartbeat.”

They had to privilege to travel all over the country, learn amazing skills, and make lifelong friends. The Girl Scouts brought them donuts and patriotic beanie babies to show their thanks. After departing from West G, the veterans had to attend another flag ceremony at the Chardon Court House.

Another special guest, Mr. Mike Morosko and his son, Marlow, joined Mr. Bill Bryan‘s 4th period American history class. A room full of freshman and the vice principal listened diligently, as he shared his personal World War II stories. He told everyone about what it was like to serve under General Patton, working on the tanks. He also shared personal pictures that he passed around the classroom. He told the assembled students how Germany always seemed to be “one up” on the U.S with technology. As he spoke 5 languages fluently, he also had to help with the concentration camps, The Nuremberg Trials and patrol the Autobahn.

Afterwards, principal Mr. Jay Bishop treated him to lunch in the cafeteria where several students had the opportunity to come up and thank him.

The winner of a $15 Chipotle gift card for being dressed the most patriotically was Devin Holowczak.  Mr. Morosko was also recruited to speak on behalf of the veterans at the varsity football game. He was spotted wearing his WWII cap. Many Veterans are proud to wear clothing or hats that represent the war they fought in.

The day was a complete success. Hopefully, West G will keep this tradition going every year on this memorable day.