Girl Scouts Promote Veteran’s Day

Celebrating Service at West G.

7 Senior Girl Scouts

7 Senior Girl Scouts

Veterans Day is a government – sponsored United States federal holiday that is held annually on November 11. It honors people who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces at any time. This year, local Girl Scout Troop #70592 is hosting an event to bring in veterans to the high school history classes. The senior members of the troop wanted to do one last BIG service project before having their years of scouting come to an end. Those senior members (pictured above) include Regina Ziccardi, Rachyl Anderson, Ashley Armstrong, Angela Warholic, Emily Modliszewski, Ari Ljubi, and Chloe Martin. West Geauga senior Melissa Kuchta is also helping with the project, but she is a scout in another troop.

At 8 a.m. (sharp) there will be a flag raising ceremony outside the high school that everyone can attend with a local Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) post. The West Geauga Pep Band, led by senior Tucker Harvey, will be performing the National Anthem. During second period classes, the VFW participants will be presenting in Room 124 for the students who will attend, instead of going to their normal classrooms. Other veterans will also be speaking during advisory A and B periods.

Students are encouraged to dress patriotically and a prize will be awarded to the best – dressed student. Just in case you are interested in participating, the prize is a Chipotle gift card. The Girl Scouts will be spending time after school, decorating the halls with handmade posters and making ribbons to promote the event.

To honor all these veterans who served their country so honorably, we are encouraging everyone to give them a handshake, a pat on the back, or some other expression of appreciation, and to thank them for their service.

We’ll follow up after the visit with photos, interviews and reactions from the students and staff.