A Class Act…Vocally Speaking

Vocal Music Rocks the Class at WG

Nothing But CLASS in this ACT

Some people are born with a natural talent for singing, while some work to develop the skill. We put ALL of them to good use in the West Geauga High School vocal music department under the direction of Mr. Paul Stewart. Mr. Stewart has been a part the high school staff for the past 5 years. Mr. Stewart advises Class Act and directs the choirs.

Class Act is an elite choral ensemble of 10th through 12th grade students that specializes in a cappella music. A cappella music is the type of music that uses no instruments for accompaniment. They sing a cappella chamber music like madrigals, motets, and spirituals.

Chorale is a choir composed of juniors and seniors but it does not require a separate audition. Concert choir is made up of freshman and sophomores. Treble choir is a select group of girls and there are auditions required for that one, also. It consists of sophomores through seniors. For these auditions, the singer must sing a song a cappella that shows vocal ability/range, sight read a piece, and they also must sing the WGHS Alma Mater.

Class Act, the ensemble consisting of 16 students, takes a lot of talent and hard work to even make it into the choir. “You have to prove you have what it takes!” says Stewart.

Many members of the choirs recently competed at the OMEA contests (see related story on the Whirlwind site) and did very well. Mr. Stewart said, “We are very proud of their hard work and they represented the school well. Their ratings reflect [those] achievements.”