We Got the MUSIC in West G !

Music Students Compete at OMEA

Congratulations to our music students and directors, Mr. Paul Stewart, Mr. Jason Branch and Mrs. Teresa Cosenza for their awesome efforts in the recent OMEA competitions.

On Saturday, January 24th, students from the West Geauga High School choirs participated in the Ohio Music Education Association District VII Solo & Ensemble Adjudicated Event.  Students prepared individual solos and small ensembles, performed for OMEA appointed judges, and received comments and a rating from I (highest) to V (lowest).  Vocal soloists who received the rating of I were Jack Yochum (12), Hannah Fox (10), and Caitlin Speyer (9).  Soloists who received the rating of II were Kimberly Walkuski (10), Victoria Finnick (10), and Lillian Williams (11).  Class Act also participated in the Chamber Ensemble category and received a I rating.  This is the fourth year in a row that Class Act has been given this rating at district solo & ensemble events. 19 students total from the WGHS choirs participated in the event this year.

Also on January 24th, the West Geauga High School band had 42 of its students participate in the OMEA contest. The contest allows students to perform either by themselves or within a small group of 3 -7 others. Each event is judged by an OMEA adjudicator, who scores the performance on a “Five” rating system, ranging from a rating of I (Superior) to V (Very Poor).

The band students performed in a total of twenty separate events through the day.  Eighteen West G events received the highest rating of I and two events scored a II. The students who participated have been preparing for months for this contest and they represented the school in a positive and successful manner.

The band soloists who scored a rating of “I” at Solo and Ensemble were freshmen Sydney Gembka, Mark Kiec, Mirielle Korting and Jennifer Schweiger, juniors Katherine Kulp, Marcus Reider, and Angela Warholic and seniors Tim Burke, Daniel Hartman and Marissa Horton.