Wrestling With Success

Wolverine Wrestlers Carry On

Photo Courtesy of Pastor Photo

This season has been “fair – to – middle” to the West Geauga High School wrestling team so far. With a dual meet record of 4 – 10, the team is looking to improve in that area as the end of the season draws near.

Freshman Anthony McFarland has already taken it upon himself to prepare for the end of the season. After beginning the season with a less-than-.500 record of 6-17, he is starting to find his place. During West Geauga’s meet versus Madison on January 22nd, Anthony won both of his matches, improving his record to 12-21.

“Some of our guys are making some strides that will allow them to be more competitive at the end of the season,” Coach Mr. Joe Marino explained, “Maybe the team as a whole isn’t the best at the moment, but I have faith in several of our guys to put in the work to make sure they’re successful later on. I have been especially impressed with Jorge Mirabelli’s work ethic; he has really been getting after it in practice”

There are two standout wrestlers this season who have shown their capabilities on the mat. Senior AJ Vetturini (132 pound weight class) and junior Joe Fornaro (195) have a combined .773 winning percentage, winning 47 matches of 59 matches. AJ placed 6th at the Perry Tournament. Joe finished in 5th place at the Top Gun Tournament, a high-level competition in Alliance, as well as earning a silver medal in a tournament held at Kenston High School.

The team’s latest accomplishment comes courtesy of A.J. Vetturini, who placed 1st in the CVC tournament last Saturday. Having faced and lost to Orange High School’s Frank Regalbuto twice during the 2013-2014 season, AJ finally got a taste of revenge. After finally winning the conference for the first time in his career, AJ exclaimed, “To go to my last CVC meet and get a win? That’s awesome!”

This Friday, February 13th, the team is hosting a spaghetti dinner in the high school cafeteria. Afterwards, there will be a home meet versus Austintown Fitch, Euclid, and Akron Ellet. This match will help the team prepare for sectionals, which begin in two weeks.