Cruising Across the Country

A Race to Success for Wolverine Runners

Many people cringe when they think of running one mile, three miles, even 6 miles. However, for the West Geauga girls and boys cross country teams, this is part of their everyday lives. It could seem insane to some, and it does require hard work, but, with the right mindset and effort, these teams can accomplish anything.

This year, the boys team is led by captains Zach Yaecker (junior), Will Snyder (junior), and Sam Faulk (sophomore). The girls are led by returning seniors Kristina Zerbe and Lilly Makee. Some surprises on the boys team this year include freshmen Aidan Bryson and JT Wenger, who are running at the varsity level. Other talent from the girls side includes new members Deanna Swinerton (sophomore), Maya Holowzcak (junior), Kylee Sherwood (freshman), and Rachael Brinning (senior), who have consistently been part of the varsity races, also. Although the teams have their struggles, from stress fractures and pulled muscles to balancing another sport along with cross country, a sense of teamwork and support is always present among this cross country “family.”

A typical day of cross country practice can involve anything from intervals on the track to long runs down the roads or at the park. Many days you might even see them running on the streets near the school. This training is what produces the improvement needed to run well in the meets. The standard distance for a cross country course is 3.1 miles, and, in case the distance is not enough for them, there are always challenges. The majority of the courses this year have been filled with mud, rain, and hills, but the runners always make the best of it.

This proved to be true at the Open Door Invitational in Elyria, where both teams came out with a win, which included numerous trophies and medals. Outside of running, you can find them hanging out and carrying on the traditions, which are anything from pasta parties to handing down “the box,” which is essentially a time capsule created by the girls team over twenty years ago. However, what is inside remains a secret until it is passed on to you as a senior.

Overall, both teams have worked extremely hard this season and are improving immensely. They are coming down to the end of their season with CVC’s approaching quickly, so be sure to give them your support as they finish strong!