Doing DECA Deeds

Koller Captures Trophy

Koller Captures Trophy

Several students in Mrs. Getz’s Beachwood Excel TECC Marketing class recently competed in the DECA State competition in Columbus in March. DECA is an international organization of marketing students that provides various competitions and leadership programs for students at the high school and collegiate level. Ten Beachwood Marketing students competed at the contest, including West Geauga High School seniors Molly Szucs, Susan Joseph, Bethany Katzenstein and Michael Koller. The respective business fields for the contest included food marketing, buying and merchandising and quick-serve management. These events tested knowledge and application of business and marketing techniques. When the tests were taken and the case studies were judged two students received top honors.

West Geauga High School’s Mike Koller and Beachwood’s Josh Raiffe and placed 2nd in the state in the team event, Buying and Merchandising. Koller and Raiffe have now earned the opportunity to represent Ohio at the DECA International Competition in Atlanta, Georgia in early May. They will be competing against 16,000 students from each of the fifty states and eight countries for a chance to win a coveted trophy at the Georgia World Congress Center.