Planting the Seeds of Environmental Knowledge

High School science teacher, Mr. Mike Sustin, was recently presented with an Outstanding Educator Award from Project Learning Tree.

Project Learning Tree is an award-winning environmental education program, designed for teachers and other educators, parents, and community leaders, working with youth from preschool through grade 12.

At PLT, the goal is to teach students how to think, not what to think, about complex environmental issues. Recognized as a leader in environmental education for more than 35 years, PLT enhances critical thinking, problem solving, and effective decision-making skills. PLT materials are multi-disciplinary and aligned with state and national education standards.

Studies show that when environmental education & outdoor learning components are integrated into a course of study, achievement increases, including test scores, particularly in science & math. More than half of all PLT activities can be conducted outdoors. Independent evaluators confirm PLT increases students’ knowledge, reasoning, & academic skills.

PLT inspires students, teachers, families, and volunteers to take personal responsibility for improving the environment at their school, at home, and in their community.  The goal is for students to “learn by doing.”

When asked about the award, Sustin said, “It’s always nice to get a pat on the back.”

–         The West Geauga Local School Web Page contributed to this article.