The New Kids in Town

High School 101 Etiquette for the Class of 2017

Dear Freshmen:

Every year we write this article, welcoming the freshmen to the high school. As you begin your high school careers, there are a few things you should understand.  These tips might not have to do with the academic side of high school, but will help you, nonetheless.   As long as you follow these simple rules, you will be in no danger.

First, how to walk the halls! The high school hallways work no differently than how you’d drive a car.  You always need to walk on the right.  If you stop, you’ll get in a crash, and probably die or be fatally injured. While in the halls, you also don’t want to be “that girl or guy” who screams when they see their friends in halls.  You’re going to see your friends 12 other times today, so you don’t have to act as if he/she is your long lost cousin who was stranded on a deserted island in the middle of the ocean, surviving only on raw fish and palm leaves. You should also remember to walk quickly! It is not just you who has to get to and from classes on time.

Secondly, respect your upper classmen. We have been here longer and, therefore, deserve respect. Keep in mind that the respect you give is the respect you get. We’ve waited for the opportunity to be the “big fish” again since 8th grade. So…while you were the big fish last year, know that that is no longer your place. Remember the golden rule: treat others the way you’d like to be treated.  But if you do ever need help, there are plenty of older, friendly faces who would be happy to assist you.

Lastly, take high school one day at a time. Although it is all about setting you up for the future, don’t forget about now. Your high school years are the best, (and fastest) years in your life. Enjoy them while they last. Good luck, Class of 2017.