Not Just Another “Paedyn Place”

Gomes Recognized for Outstanding Academic Record

It’s not every day that something REALLY exciting happens to somebody in the small town of Chesterland, OH or at West Geauga High School.  However, this year has proved to be different thus far. Congratulations are extended to senior Paedyn Gomes who is one of approximately 1,600 African – American high school students who have qualified as a semi – finalist in the 2014 National Achievement Scholarship Program. 

Semifinalists are the highest-scoring program participants in the states that constitute each designated region. Semifinalists are chosen based on PSAT scores. Paedyn has qualified due to his academic achievement and above average scores. Before being considered for an Achievement Scholarship, semi – finalists must continue to finalist rank in the competition by meeting high academic standards and requirements that are explained to each candidate.  Application materials are sent to semi – finalists through their high schools.

Each year, approximately 3,100 outstanding National Achievement Program participants are presented to about 1,500 four-year colleges and universities in the United States. In late September, a roster of these students’ names, high schools, and tentative college majors was sent to higher education admission officials.

On being named to a semi – finalist ranking, Paedyn said, “Academically, I think making sure to do my best on my schoolwork and doing well in my classes have helped me the most.”

It is not an easy task and we wish him congratulations and luck as he continues to try and achieve finalist status.