Compressions On Victims In Distress

House Bill 113 Mandates CPR for Seniors

Nurse Mansfield Instructs Seniors in Room 111

Last week CardioPulmonary Resuscitation training, or CPR, was instituted for the seniors here at West Geauga High School. CPR is an emergency procedure that comprises a mix of chest compressions and ventilation. It is performed when someone’s heart stops beating and another individual attempts to re-start the heart and keep oxygen flowing to the brain. In addition, how to use an AED (automated defibrillator) as part of the procedure was included. 

In 1960 CardioPulmonary Resuscitation was developed. The American Heart Association started the program to acquaint physicians with close-chest cardiac resuscitation and it became the forerunner of CPR training for the general public.  Early CPR can double or triple the victim’s chance of survival. Senior Brandon Weaver agreed, saying, “I think it’s good that they are teaching the basics of CPR. This could really save someone down the line.”

Our staff health professional here at the high school for the past 7 years, Mrs. Dawn Manfield, LPN, oversaw the CPR training during seniors’ English classes or during an April 14th make-up session for people who were unable to attend the session during the initial training. Only the seniors were provided the training (this year), because this is the first graduating class that needed it as a graduation requirement. Hopefully the CPR training will be implemented into health and/or PE classes in the future. 

The school started the specific training because House Bill 113 mandated that first aid and CPR become a curriculum requirement and be included into the curriculum guides. Due to the pandemic and the potential health – related (Covid) concerns, the students were taught a “hands-only” version of CPR, which did not include any mouth-to-mouth or rescue breathing. The steps of hands-only CPR are simple: call 911 and then to push hard and fast in the center of the person’s chest (known as compressions) until help arrives. Will things like CPR or how to fashion a tourniquet or do the Heimlich maneuver be implemented in the future, as these could save lives, too ? Mrs. Mansfield says that she is only aware of the hands-only CPR and the AED training for now. 

Although Mrs. Mansfield has never personally done CPR, she’s been in situations where she was totally prepared to do it, as she was the only person around who knew how to perform CPR. She uses this experience to prove that more people need to be trained because, “You never know when you will find yourself in a situation of somebody in a crisis.” 

Mrs. Mansfield continued, “I encourage all students to think about taking a class through the American Red Cross at a later date to learn more and become certified.” She closed by noting, “Kindness. It costs nothing but means everything.”