Covid 19 Made a Senior Year “Crystal Clear”

Senior Year Ends Covid 19 Style

For those who don’t know me, my name is Cristal Robinson, born October 20, 2001. Just one month before I was born, 9/11 occurred on September 11, 2001. Most know what occurred that day, but if you don’t know what happened that day, I will give a brief summary. Islamic extremists hijacked planes that were flying above the U.S. Two of them were flown into the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York. Another was crashed into the Pentagon, the top military building in our capital city, Washington DC. That was a pretty “big” tragedy, but I don’t remember it.

With that being said, we will jump to today’s “tragedy.” I remember this one. March 13, 2020 was my last day of “real” high school.  The Corona Virus, also known as Covid-19, is an illness caused by a virus that can spread from person to person. I would never have guessed that my high school days would end like this. Everyone said that high school goes by so quickly, but I did not know that it could be “taken” from me. I was not able to go to any of the spring activity games, as well as the other senior rights of passage like prom and graduation. I took high school for granted. No, I did not want to go every day, but I woke up daily to attend. Since it has been “taken” from me, I wish I could attend school now.

At first “no school” sounded great. Everyone thought about hanging out with friends, sleeping in and no homework. But little did we know there would be no outside activities ! The government went on lockdown just a week or so afterward, meaning nothing outside: strictly home and work.

Slowly all the great places started to close, especially my favorite place, which is the mall. No gatherings bigger than 10 people? Who would have ever guessed that staying in the house could be so boring. There is just nothing to do but sleep in and do homework for school.

This is definitely something that I will always remember.

This is my story, my “History 2020.” It was (or was supposed to be) a special year for me and my peers. I expected to graduate high school with my class, walk across a stage, go to prom with my peers and do all the other “stuff” that millions of other high school students took for granted.