West G. Adds New A.D.

Mr. Ben Stehura Takes Over as New Athletic Administrator

Coach Stehura at CSU

Coach Stehura at CSU

West Geauga High School has welcomed a new athletic director to the building. His name is Mr. Ben Stehura. Mr. Stehura, on one level or another, has been a part of administration, education, teaching and coaching for 21 years. A 1996 graduate of Jefferson High School, Mr. Stehura wrestled twice in the Ohio high school state tournament before becoming a three-year starter at Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania where he received a teaching degree.

Before moving into administration, Mr. Stehura was a college wrestling coach, starting a brand new program at South Carolina’s Limestone College and them moving on to being a Division I head coach for a decade at Cleveland State, where he earned a Master Degree. Stehura noted he, “…likes the opportunity to mentor coaches and help guide student athletes.”

Mr. Stehura is currently living in Highland Heights with his family. That family includes his wife, Michelle, and their three children: Oscar, Helen and Stella. Something that is interesting is that the girls are identical twins.

Outside of West Geauga Mr. Stehura enjoys doing anything outdoors and he also likes to build and/or remodel things. Prior to his time in education, he did construction, farming, steel mill work, landscaping, and short order cooking.

His goal for this school year is, “…to have a positive experience and improve.” In his first year as A.D. we have already won two CVC team championships and are poised to possibly win another this winter. He added, “The community is incredibly supportive of the students.”

In addition to being hired as the new A.D., Mr. Stehura began his career as a Wolverine last year when he agreed to become the new head wrestling coach at the high school, a position he currently still holds. According to junior, Dante Mirabelli, “Coach is a good fit because of his leader – like qualities.” Senior Josh Moriarty added, “Coach has a very efficient wrestling style that will, hopefully, help propel us to the next level.”

On the concept of coaching before being hired as the A.D., Mr. Stehura said, “The idea [was] to eventually transition into athletic director (or possibly assistant principal) or something like that down the line.”

Incidentally, Mr. Stehura is not the first Jefferson alumnus to coach wrestling and now be a part of the administration here at West G, either. One of his former high school teammates is Mr. Shawn Krippel, one of our former wrestling coaches and current assistant principal at the high school.