No “Gray Area” in This Department

West G Math Faculty Adds New Member

Ms.+Gray+
Back to Article
Back to Article

No “Gray Area” in This Department

Ms. Gray

Ms. Gray

Ms. Gray

Ms. Gray

The West Geauga math department has brought in a new teacher for the 2020 campaign. Her name is Ms. Erin Gray. Her current position here at West Geauga is a member of the high school math department, teaching Algebra II and geometry. Prior to being hired at West G, she previously worked for two years teaching calculus, algebra, and elementary school math teachers at The Ohio State University. She also (in college) worked at the county engineer’s office. This will mark Ms. Gray’s third year, overall, in teaching.

Ms. Grey is no stranger to Northeast Ohio, however. She attended Kent Roosevelt in Kent, OH. She studied math education at Penn State University for her undergraduate degree and earned her Master Degree in mathematics from Ohio State.

When asked as to why she chose education as a career, Ms. Gray said, “In high school I had a math teacher who inspired me to teach and motivate others in a subject that is often misunderstood. From him I realized how important it is to help learners build math foundations needed outside of the classroom.”

As to what her plans are for this year at West G., Ms. Gray said, “[My] goals for the students this year are that students see math in a positive light and begin to see how math can be applied outside of school.”

Outside of school Ms. Gray also has activities. She has run a few marathons and likes to hike (especially around Hocking Hills and Penn State) with her lab/hound mix, Miley. They enjoy being outside, in general, especially going to the Bow Wow Beach dog park in Stow, as well as swimming at her parents’ house

An interesting fact about Ms. Gray’s life is that in high school she took four  years of German, participated in an exchange program, and continued to study German in college. She is, “…almost fluent,”  and enjoys listening to German podcasts; she hopes to return to Germany one day, also.

To date, Ms. Gray has really enjoyed working with the staff and administration, as all have been very supportive and helpful in getting her first year here started. She is excited to learn and participate in the traditions here at West G and is, especially, looking forward to the Kiwanis pancake breakfast in March.

Ms. Gray wants everyone to know that if anyone is considering Penn State as a prospective college, or considering going into mathematics, she’d love to talk to you about the academic programs, campus life or sports. Go, Nittany Lions!