Interact Members Speak Their Passions

West G. Interact Members Succeed at Rotary Speech Contest

Back to Article
Back to Article

Interact Members Speak Their Passions

Julia and Marianna (L to R)

Julia and Marianna (L to R)

Julia and Marianna (L to R)

Julia and Marianna (L to R)

Great things keep happening here at West Geauga High School in the world of Rotary International and speeches ! Recently, senior Mariana Valdez-Punales and freshman Julia Martinez were seen placing and winning cash prizes at the Rotary 4-Way Speech Contest held during a Rotary meeting at the Paganini Culinary School here in Chesterland at and Aurora High School.

What is the Rotary 4-Way Speech Contest one may ask? Martinez explained it as a contest where one has to, “…address a topic and explain if it is ethical or not, using the 4-Way Rotary Test: Is it the truth ? Is it fair to all concerned ? Will it build goodwill and better friendships ? Lastly, is it beneficial to all concerned.” This was not an easy task, but the girls took command and ended up on the podium.

Valdez-Punales, who is involved with Academic Decathlon and Academic Challenge, prepared a speech on animal rights and abuse. With that she placed 1st and was awarded $150, a paperweight, and notepads. When asked what she gained from this experience she said, “A more comfortable feel of public speaking (which I already enjoyed thanks to Academic Decathlon) and more contacts.” She says that this experience, “…will help [me] be more professional in [my] delivery and presentation of projects.”

Martinez, who is involved with Student Council and Interact, prepared a speech on physician assisted suicide. With that she placed 2nd and was awarded $100. From this experience she feels she gained, “…confidence in speaking in front of people and how to elaborately share [my] point of view.” She said that, “This experience will help not only in school presentations but for future jobs as well.”

Interact Advisor, Mrs. Chelsea Talty said she,  “…hopes [her] students gain experience in public speaking, but more importantly that they have a better knowledge of Rotary and the 4-Way Test when they finish.”

Both girls, as well as Mrs. Talty believe that joining Rotary is a, “…great opportunity to speak about something you are passionate [about].”

Congrats to both ladies !