Filed under News

French and Chinese Are “Served” Again at West G

Foreign Language Department Expands Course Offerings in 2019 - 2020

Enfants ! De nouvelles langues sont ajoutées au programme de West Geauga!

Oh…wait, no one can speak French…yet. Yes, that is right, yet. After a six-year hiatus, the West G. French program is making a comeback for the 2019-2020 school year. And who else would be teaching it besides Mrs. Shannua Crossman. “This gives students more opportunities to explore different languages. It’s awesome,” said Mr. David Callahan, guidance counselor.

“Je m’appelle Mme. Crossman,” Mrs. Crossman said. “I currently teach Spanish I, II Honors, and III at the high school, [but] I taught French and Spanish, 6th through 8th, at the middle school for 10 years from 2002 – 2012. I traveled between buildings for several years, which gave me the opportunity to teach French II, and French III, IV and V Honors.” To be able to teach such difficult French classes, she must have a pretty impressive education, herself. That would be right! Mrs. Crossman studied at the Sorbonne in Paris and, “…spent [her] junior year of college studying in the castle region in France.” Her master’s degree is in World Language Pedagogy, also.

Next year, however, she will not just be the French teacher, as she will continue to teach Spanish classes.

When asked what she hopes students will gain from taking French, she replied, “I hope that students will embrace French culture and communication. I hope students gain knowledge of the global importance of the francophone world. I hope students will be able to discover personal connections that may help lead them to their future careers.” She continued, “Students have expressed an interest in learning French for years.  I hope they seize the opportunity.”

Personally, I am going to “seize the opportunity” by signing up to take French I next year, and I encourage others to do the same. Guidance counselor, Ms. Sarah Widman, echoed those sentiments: “Students are excited about the opportunities to broaden their cultural and language horizons.”

The addition of both French (as well as Chinese) to the foreign language department here at West G. is going to help the current and future students to learn more of what the world has to offer, right here in Chesterland. That, to me, seems like a good plan. High school principal Mr. Jay Bishop agreed, saying, “We are happy to now offer more foreign language options to our students to address the variety of interests of the student body.”