Filed under Showcase

Embracing the Grind

Wrestling Season Nears Completion

Back to Article
Back to Article

Embracing the Grind

Fornaro on the Attack

Fornaro on the Attack

Fornaro on the Attack

Fornaro on the Attack

Someone once said, “Pain is temporary, but team pride will last forever.” West G’s 2019 wrestling team came into this year strong, confident, and looking to take down any competition that crossed their paths.

This year we say, “Hello,” to two new staff members: Mr. Ben Stehura takes over as our as head coach and Mr. Mike Carlone is a new assistant. They join Mr. Jason Peck who is in his 5th year as an assistant at West Geauga. Class of 2008 alumnus, Mr. Denny Farmer, also returns to the staff as our middle school coach.

Coach Stehura said one of his primary goals this year was, “…to fill as many weights as possible.” They were mostly successful in that goal, which they still wish to accomplish next year, as well. For the whole season the team was missing the two lowest weights, 113 and 106. For most events, however, the team filled 11 or 12 of the 14 weight classes.

On this 16 – member – team are two seniors, Solomon Troychansky (138) and Gino Fornaro (170). Both Sol and Gino are returning district qualifiers, and both double as captains, along with junior heavyweight (and fellow district qualifier), Lou Alesnik.  Joining the three captains as a returning district qualifier is junior, Tyler Moriarty, who mans the 220 pound weight class.

To prepare for the season, the team had open mats 2 times per week, but a majority of the team also played a fall sport, so the pre-season was shorter than intended. Nonetheless, the team started off well, much to the happiness of Coach Stehura. After coaching in college for the past 17 seasons, Coach Stehura notes, “I have actually been both a junior high and high school coach in the past. My first job was being both a junior high head coach and high school assistant at Buck Tail High School in Renovo, PA, a very small school in the mountains of PA.” He has coached in South Carolina and worked with the Ohio national teams for the last 20 years. He also has experience running a wrestling club and Regional Training Center for athletes of all ages.

This season has had its up’s and down’s, but, through it all, Stehura has been overwhelmingly proud of the team and its growth. He said, “The West G wrestling team competes with an aggressive style that makes them fun to watch and support.”

Solid individual seasons were turned in by many members of the team. Qualifying for this week’s district tournament were Troychansky (22 – 14 record), Fornaro (25 – 9), junior Josh Moriarty (20 – 13), Tyler Moriarty (25 – 13) and Alesnik (31 – 11). In addition, sophomore James Mullally finished 5th at the sectional and freshman Robert Sabol placed 6th.

In regards to the season, Troychansky said, “It’s been a fun  four years, so I hope to go out with a bang at districts and I am looking for a shot at state.”