New Faces in New Places

Recent College "Grad" Steps Into First Year at West Geauga

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Faces in New Places

In the 2018 – 2019 school year at West Geauga High, many new, smiling teacher faces have shown up to help grow and educate the students. One of those teachers is Ms. Rebecca Dietz. A 2014 Revere High School graduate and current Painesville resident. Ms. Dietz is excited to enter her first professional year of teaching here at West Geauga.

Having recently graduated from Lake Erie College in May, Ms. Dietz is currently employed as an Intervention Specialist. Intervention specialists are members of the teaching staff, some employed by the individual districts and others at the county level, who work with students to implement accommodations and special education program for students who have qualified for services, based upon an I.E.P. (individualized education plan) or 504 plan.

When asked what motivated her to enter into education as a career, she replied, “I always loved working with kids. When I was younger I envied my first grade teacher. We had many students in my class with special needs and she made a difference for them. I wanted to do the exact same thing; I wanted to make a difference in others, not just those with a disability, but everyone.”

How will she accomplish that and what are her goals being a teacher? She hopes to, “…help [her] students succeed both inside and outside of the classroom.”

Speaking of outside of the classroom, Ms. Dietz loves to take hikes with her puppy, Maxi, when she has some free time on her hands. Ms. Dietz was also a member of the soccer team while in college and currently coaches U11 soccer through the West Geauga Travel League.

Ms. Dietz is most certainly a positive addition to the West Geauga staff. She said, “West Geauga has been extremely welcoming! I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to work in this district as a new teacher…I am very excited to officially be a teacher!”