Irwin Collects Post Season Recognition

Freshman Scores Multiple Awards

Irwin and OhioVarsity.com’s Steve Hare

Freshman Josh Irwin has had quite a 2018 season. While freshmen do play varsity sports in this day and age, few receive multiple accolades at a high level on the varsity. Josh has received the OhioVarsity.com Freshman of the Year Award and was also named the 2018 Chagrin Valley Conference MVP in boys basketball. If those are not impressive enough in their own right, according to boys head coach, Mr. Jeff Javorek, this is the first time in the history of the conference that a 9th grader has won the MVP award.

Irwin was a welcome addition to the 2017-2018 boys varsity basketball team. While many athletes need an adjustment period, going from middle school to varsity, Irwin had to transition from middle school basketball to a varsity level very quickly. According to Josh, the biggest transition was the game speed. “There is a different pace in the game and the players are much faster,” he said. It took Irwin only a few games to adjust to the new, dynamic pace, however.

Basketball started at a young age for Irwin. He began when he was about 2 or 3. Irwin said, “Ever since I was a little kid, I loved to shoot hoops and dribble the ball.” It was probably in his genes and destiny, however, as his father, West Geauga assistant coach, Mr. Doug Irwin, played Division II college ball at Lake Erie College in Painesville.

No matter how much success is in your gene pool, excellence does not happen accidentally; Irwin is training year round. He has speed and strength workouts 3 to 4 times per week during the basketball season. He also lifts weight two times per week during the season. When the school season is over, he plays AAU. The significance of Irwin’s accomplishments are not lost on his head coach. “It means a lot for our team and program to have an individual recognized so highly by other coaches in our league. I know it means a lot to him because he works so hard on his game.”

Despite putting in all the work, himself, Josh is quick to thank his parents for the impact they have had on his basketball career. His parents have pushed him to become a better player every day. They have also been his biggest support on and off the court. Irwin said, “Both my parents have sacrificed an immense amount of time and [lost] sleep to take me to different events.” Irwin is truly thankful for everything that his parents have done to make him the player he is today.

Josh’s ultimate goal is to play college basketball. He wants to work every day to achieve his goal and become a better player. Coach Javorek thinks that can be a reality, too. “He is going to be one of the top athlete prospects to come through our school. He truly deserves it and is such an impactful player for our team. It shows hard work truly pays off.”