Beck’s Benefit Brings Out the Best in West

Community Dinner Planned to Raise Funds for Cancer Diagnosis

This Friday, April 27, “Beck’s Benefit” will be celebrated in the West Geauga Middle School cafeteria to help support the journey of one of our current students, sophomore Beck Thompson, as he battles his way through the detection of cancer. In late March of this year, Beck was diagnosed with a malignant tumor, growing on his pelvic bone. Since then the cancer has proven non-aggressive and has not been classified with a stage; however, Beck’s battle will be ongoing, as he recently started his “chemo” and he and his family need the community’s continued support. In response to the warmth shown by his peers and neighbors he said, “I appreciate all the support from my family and the community. They are my motivation to keep moving forward.”

In an effort to support Beck and his family, the entire Wolverine Nation – the teaching and coaching staffs (Beck is a member of the football and wrestling teams), our parents, the students, and local businesses – are partnering to host The Beck Benefit, starting at 5:00 p.m. Pre-sale tickets are available at the high school main office or at the door the night of the event. The cost for children (10 years and under) is $5, and the adult cost is $10 per ticket. Tickets include a pasta dinner, dessert buffet, and various drink selections. In addition both silent and Chinese auctions will be available, as well as $2 and $3 sideboards. A senior talent show, scheduled for 8:00 p.m. in the middle school gym, is also on the docket.

The dinner has been made possible by generous donations from many local businesses with food donations from the Cork-N-Bottle, Pizza Hut Chesterland, the school’s athletic teams, and the district school’s teaching staffs. Countless hours of time and effort from high school staff members like Mrs. Jahnke, Mrs. Walker, Mrs. Glessner, Mr. Bryan and other members of the West G. staff have been integral to the coordination of the event.

An outpouring of financial support from those both in and out of the West G. community has been continuous. A total of $2,530 was raised from in-school fundraising through the sale of wristbands and shirts. In addition, a heart-stopping $23,571 has been donated since March 25 through the fundraising site Life Extraordinary (the link to donate is https://liveextra.org/stories/becks-fight).

The whole West G. community is standing with Beck through this journey. If you can, please join us this Friday to support one of our own in his courageous fight.