Kick Starting the College Search

Annual Fair Draws Dozens of Schools to West Geauga’s Campus

A Panoramic View of the Kickstart College Fair

Monday night, April 8th, was the annual Kickstart College Fair at West Geauga High School.  Over 70 colleges and universities were present in the main gym to meet with students. Events began at 6:00 p.m. with guest speaker and local radio personality, Mr. Jimmy Malone. Malone is also the founder of the Jimmy Malone Scholarship Foundation. At 6:30 p.m., representatives from the colleges were on hand to greet students, pass out volumes of literature and information, and entice students to remember them with free pens, magnets, lanyards and other goodies.  The event was open to all area students and not limited to only West G. Guidance counselor Mr. David Callahan said, “The Kickstart College Fair was a hit and having Jimmy Malone here was the icing on the cake.”

Mr. Jared Merritt, an admissions counselor from Mercyhurst University in Erie, PA was one of the numerous private college representatives. He said, “This is a GREAT representation of schools with a diverse population of colleges.” He also noted that the students, especially the ones from West Geauga, were serious. “I was really impressed by most of the students,” he said. “They were engaged and not just running around socializing, the way it happens at so many of these events.” At the end of the night he had “info” cards filled out from several prospective students, so it was a worthwhile trip.

In addition to out – of – state and private colleges, Ohio’s schools were well represented. Ms. Jessie Fix was here representing Bowling Green State University. When asked what she thought of the fair, she said, “I love it. I had a great number of students from West Geauga asking great questions.” She also noted that several students were impressed that BG’s journalism school was just recognized nationally in the Princeton Review as one of the nation’s best.

Another organization that was also represented was L.E.A.F…the Lake/Geauga Educational Assistance Foundation. One of their advisors, Mrs. Renee Morgan said, “LEAF is thrilled to participate in the college fair to educate families about the local resources in the often-misunderstood financial aid process. I was impressed by so many students who made eye contact and initiated great questions. Before the event, I was also able to chat with the college reps about some current student financial aid packages, proving face to face conversations are always better than an email or text. Don’t be a stranger to your LEAF lady, as she has a lot of great tips!”

West Geauga junior, Anna Lucarelli, summed up a productive evening when she said, “It was very helpful and informative; I’m glad I went.”