He Blinded Me With Science

West G’s AP Bio Club Hits the Holden Arboretum

Soaring Above Kirtland

Soaring Above Kirtland

West Geauga’s science department has always tried to go above and beyond and do “more” than just educate in the classroom. Earlier this month, 20 of West Geauga’s AP Biology students took a trip to northeast Ohio’s beautiful Holden Arboretum in Kirtland. Mr. Mike Taurasi, the high school’s AP Bio teacher, came along to lead the many experiments that were going to take place in the beautiful park.

After the students arrived, they went right to work. The young scientists conducted a soil ecology lab, using samples from the bottom of three different soils. But what are they doing with the soil? A mini metabolism environment! The AP students will be creating a Winogradsky Column and studying bacterial growth over the next two months.

The students spent the whole day at the park collecting samples. When asked what Taurasi thought the student’s favorite part was, he answered, “Taking samples from the lakes, climbing the Emergent Tower [which happens to rise roughly 90 feet from the ground], and walking the Canopy Bridge.” Senior Sydney Velotta noted, “The Holden Arboretum was a beautiful experience. Every time I go there, I discover something new. The Emergent Tower and canopy walk were great additions to the park, as we got to see new perspectives.”

Everything the students do in class and out in the field is preparing them for the big AP exam at the end of the year. Taurasi plans on taking two more biology – based field trips this year. The students will be attending a genetics update conference at Mayfield High School on Saturday, November 11 with other biology students. Finally, the class will go see an Indiana University Professor speak about various medical topics.

It is going to be a long, strenuous journey preparing for the AP exam, but Taurasi and the rest of the science department are giving West Geauga students everything they need in order to score 5’s. Good Luck this April !