High School Welcomes New Science Teacher

Duncan Joins West G. Science

Mr. Duncan at Work

West Geauga High School has welcomed Mr. Alan Duncan to the 2017 – 2018 teaching staff. Mr. Duncan teaches AP Physics, physics, and robotics. Overall, Mr. Duncan has been teaching for three and one – half years, so he is not a total “greenhorn,” just new to West Geauga.

When Mr. Duncan was in high school, his chemistry teacher inspired him. He grew to love science and wanted to have an impact on future students, as his teacher had on him. After high school he attended Lorain Community College, where he earned his Associate Degree. He then attended Baldwin Wallace and received his full undergraduate degree and teaching certification. In addition, he has attended Akron University for some additional physics classes.

Mr Duncan said, “I want students to be able to continue to develop their critical thinking and problem solving skills by working through hands on demonstrations and labs. I also want students to learn that physics is not just math and motion problems. I would like them to be able to apply the physics that they learn in class to everyday situations and problems that they may encounter.”

Mr. Duncan is very happy to be teaching at West Geauga due to the staff, administration, and students. He said he also feels welcomed in the community so far.

Mr. Duncan lives in Valley City, which is (roughly) an hour away. Valley City is apparently famous for its annual Frog Jump and Samosky’s Pizza.

Outside of school, Mr. Duncan takes part in fishing, hiking, hunting, and four wheeling, and he is a second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do.

Another interesting fact about his family is that he, his father, and his brothers were all Eagle Scouts.

Mr. Duncan is also a Steelers fan, while his girlfriend is devoted Browns fan. No tension there, right ?