Filed under Club Corner

Talty Wins Award for “Pitching In”

Teacher Wins 1st Annual Richard Pitcher Interact Memorial Award

West Geauga’s very own Mrs. Chelsea Talty is the proud recipient of the first annual Richard Pitcher Interact Memorial Award. Mr. Pitcher was a Rotarian from the Chagrin Valley Rotary Club who recently passed.  He was instrumental in helping to form many of the local Interact clubs throughout the district. He always was passionate about helping students bring their ideas to life. Interact is a teen service club that is sponsored by Rotary International.

Mrs. Talty received the award at the Interact district conference. The award was presented by Mr. Pitcher’s widow. Mrs. Talty was unaware that this award was even available, but she will proudly display the award, which was an engraved plaque. There was also an award presented to the spouse of a Rotarian, whose husband passed away earlier in the year.

The conference took place at the Sheraton Suites in Cuyahoga Falls and all Rotary members throughout our district were invited to the event. Mrs. Talty is the current advisor for the West Geauga chapter of Interact. Talty, who received this award for her dedication and passion for the Interact club, said, “I was shocked! I never thought I would be receiving an award. This was my 4th district conference and it was the first time they had ever done anything like it. My next thought was pride, that I was mentioned in the same sentence as Dick Pitcher, as he was an absolutely incredible man.”

Mrs. Talty’s favorite part was when Interact member Grace Carter cried when she received the award. Many people from West Geauga also attended the district conference. Mr. Jim Bohinc from the Chesterland Rotary Club was also in attendance, as well as 8 West Geauga students: Austin Maguire, Austin Peko, Ayah Ighneim, Mirielle Korting, Sydney Velotta, Grace Carter, Jack Musser, and David Sprenger.

The district conference was a success for the West Geauga Interact. If any students are interested in serving the community and securing a great resume builder for college applications, please stop by Room 108 at the high school to join the club.