Filed under Sports

Diving Into the Deep End

Goodrick Captures State Title

Photo Courtesy Mr. Kish

Photo Courtesy Mr. Kish

Photo Courtesy Mr. Kish

West Geauga junior diver Kami Goodrick make a HUGE splash, as she placed first at the Division II State Meet. The competition took place at Canton McKinley’s Branin Natatorium. Kami received a final score of 468.30 points. There were 24 qualifiers for diving in both the women’s and men’s divisions.

Kami, who was originally a gymnast, came to diving in a roundabout way. Injuries that ended her competitive gymnastics career transformed her into an elite diving machine. She never gave up that competitive spirit, even when she was faced with difficult obstacles. Kami credited her parents and coaches as being the most supportive of her, providing encouragement when time got tough, and she knew she had the support of her family and teammates as she competed.

Kami has qualified to state all 3 years in high school. She was state runner-up as a freshman and she placed third her sophomore year. According to the News Herald, Kami said “With gymnastics, I was knocked down and I built myself back up to this point.” Her goal at the state diving tournament was to beat her personal best record, scoring wise. Mission accomplished !

Like many elite athletes, Kami competes year round. She used to compete in track for the school, but, due to diving’s enormous time commitment, she does not have the time for other sports. Kami trains 24 hours per week for diving.

When Kami initially qualified, she thought that this could be the year that she could possibly win the state title. Her favorite part about going to state is making new friends at the meet and seeing people she knows from previous years. Kami also enjoys how the competition is set up because all of the divers are very supportive of each other and want them to do their absolute best.

Kami said,  “It’s pretty sweet walking in as this little freshman thinking, ‘Wow I want to be a state champ one day’ or ‘these girls are all so much older than me,’ and then, two years later, you’re the big girl and you manage to win state. It’s a pretty special moment that not too many people will get to understand and I’m so honored to be one of the few.”

Kami becomes West Geauga’s 4th female state champion, joining Kris McKenzie (track), Gina Gastaldo (Gymnastics), and Chantal Richardon (track).