All the World Really is a Stage

West Geauga Students Prove it’s NOT all Greek to Some

Making the Bard Proud

Making the Bard Proud

Five West Geauga students took part in the English-Speaking Union National Shakespeare Competition recently. Junior Angela Volcensek was the winner of the competition for the second year in a row, while senior Emily Stephens was the runner-up this year in the contest. Cassie Luckey and Lily Martin, both juniors, received honorable mention in the event. The event was held in Room 124 at West Geauga High School earlier 2017. The students were preparing their monologues for several months and rehearsing intensely. Mr. James Klein and Mrs. Cindy O’Janpa, both members of the high school English Department, serve as the advisers and have coached the actors for the past four years.

There are several requirements students must meet in order to compete in this event. The participants must be a high school student in good standing, although home schooled students are also welcome to take part in this event. There must be a minimum of three students per school who are willing to compete in this competition. There must also be three judges who are familiar with Shakespeare’s works. The judges this year were fellow English Department faculty members, Mrs. Keli Sessler and Mr. Chris Connell. Mr. Paul Rampee was the judge-representative  from the English Speaking Union.

The students had to read, analyze and recite Shakespearean monologues or sonnets. There are three stages to the event: school, community, and national levels. Mr. Klein said, “The reason I took part in this event was because the students at West Geauga showed interest and promise in performing.” This is West Geauga’s fourth year in the competition.

Angela competed on February 25th versus 35 other high school students at Westlake High. Although she did not advance to nationals, Angela represented herself and West G. admirably.