Filed under Club Corner

Hoops for Hope Happens at Home

Student Body and Staff Turn Out to Raise Cancer Research Funds

Khas Stands Tall in the Center of it All at the Q

Hoops for Hope is just one of the many fundraisers the students and advisors conduct in order to raise money for the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life at West Geauga High School. This competition is co – sponsored by the Cleveland Cavaliers and the American Cancer Society. All the participants are separated into three categories: underclassmen (grades nine and ten), upperclassmen (grades eleven and twelve) and the teachers/staff/administrators. Each participant lines up on the foul shot line and shoots ten shots. Many of the students come to the gym to watch and support the contestants and all are blessed to hear the constant repartee of our host, English teacher, Mr. James Klein, on the microphone. At the end of the day, the West G. faithful had a fun day and, more importantly, $175 was raised for cancer research.

The participant who makes the most shots in his/her category is able to move on to the next level of competition in another location. The West Geauga winners for 2107 were Mr. David Callahan (faculty/adults), Cole Khas (11th/12th), and Jackson Gruber (9th/10th). Each individual competed in his respective category on Saturday, February 11th at Quicken Loans Arena, prior to that evening’s Cav’s game. Winners received trophies and tickets for the game. West Geauga was proudly represented by Jackson and Cole, who both finished 2nd in their brackets.

The coalition of students organizing the Relay for Life include Annie Foliart, Chloe Green and, yours truly, Elizabeth Marino. This event happens in one day, but it takes a whole year to plan. Community coordinator, Mrs. Sharon Bennett, and faculty representative, Mrs.  Cindy O’Janpa, lead the students in planning with the help of a representative from the American Cancer Society. This event helps us begin counting down toward the third annual Relay for Life West Geauga.

The relay will take place at our high school’s field/track on Saturday, May 6th. The event will begin at noon with the Survivors’ Lap and end at 9 p.m. with the Luminaria (a candle tribute to those surviving cancer and to those that we have lost to cancer). Students may go online to Relay for Life West Geauga and start a team or sign onto an existing team.

The goal remains the same: to help raise money for cancer research and participate in the day’s events. There is something for everyone of all ages. Please join us.