Spirit Week was Sensational

Annual Homecoming Festivities Cap Off Alumni Week at West Geauga

2016 Homecoming Court

2016 Homecoming Court

Homecoming is tradition at virtually every high school in America. Actually, we think it happens everywhere, but we have no verifiable proof to cite that as fact ! But we think it’s a safe bet. The alumni all come home to the alma mater and everyone reminisces about the “Good Old Days.” But what do the kids presently IN the building attending school do during that week ? Student Council has some ideas !

Homecoming week starts on the preceding Sunday, when the student council decorate the school halls for annual powder puff (for you veterans) / red – blue (for the newbies) football game. We bet THAT brings back some memories for some of you, right ? The week, also known as Spirit Week, has designated theme days. Monday was pajama day, followed by tie dye day on Tuesday. Neon colors were the order of the day on Wednesday and everyone “Hung 10” on Hawaiian Thursday. Finally, Friday was Spirit Day where everyone decked out in blue, white and red to honor our school colors.

The mid – week highlight occurred on Wednesday when the junior and senior ladies took the football field, coached by the junior and senior boys, for the annual flag football game. It was a close game, but the seniors pulled through with the win, 14 – 6.

The Homecoming Court included seniors Anna Sheridan, Gabi Engolia, Maran Musser, Nicki Insana, and Camryn Heatwole. The ladies were escorted by several boys, representing various teams and organizations in the school.

What’s Spirit Week without a pep rally, right ? The assembly took place Friday afternoon and the captains of every team spoke about their seasons. The cheerleader took the floor and performed their dance routine. The band was also in attendance and played along. One of the highlights included players from the football team dressed as cheerleaders, performing their own cheer/dance routine.

Before the football game there was a homecoming parade that ran from the Metzenbaum School to the high school down Cedar Road. The parade included floats from each class in the high school, the elementary schools, the middle school, and various clubs and organizations at the high school. The homecoming court followed in the Rocket Car.

The football team game did their part, coming through with a win versus the Harvey Red Raiders. The 2016 Homecoming Queen was Gabi Engolia. During the second half of the game, the alumni cheerleaders came back to cheer for the wolverines on the sidelines.

On Saturday the West Geauga Student Council sponsored the A Whole New World themed dance, which was attended by several hundred students.