The Most Important Fish in the West G. Sea

Mrs. Kim Fish Returns to Work

Mrs. Fish Back at Work

Unless one is completely unobservant or living in a vacuum, it is impossible NOT to notice how fall become “pink” everywhere one looks. From NFL players, to youth football socks, to high school volleyball teams, it seems everyone is promoting breast cancer awareness ! This is a good thing.

Roughly 1 in 8 U.S. women (about 12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime. In 2016, an estimated 246,660 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 61,000 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer. About 40,450 women in the U.S. are expected to die in 2016 from breast cancer, though death rates have been decreasing since 1989. Women under 50 have experienced larger decreases. These decreases are thought to be the result of treatment advances, earlier detection through screening, and increased awareness (www.breatcancer.org).

Mrs. Kim Fish, one of our Spanish teachers here at West Geauga, was diagnosed with lymph node and breast cancer during the 2015-2016 school year. After having to miss the last five months of school for treatment, she returned at the beginning of this school year and resumed her normal teaching job. “I missed the daily routine and seeing all my students and co-workers,” Mrs. Fish said, when asked what she missed the most.

Last school year on April 8th a benefit was held in Mrs. Fish’s honor.  A plethora of community members and students attended. Mrs. Fish was, of course, grateful and overwhelmed with how generous everyone was. She was even able to enjoy it herself through one of the teacher’s video chatting her on an Ipad! The high school cafeteria was beautifully decorated by teachers and students and a dinner was also provided. Students in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes club even sold wristbands to the crowd in her honor.

She will shortly begin the radiation phase of her treatment, which will bring a whole new set of challenges into uncharted territories, but she hopes not to miss too much school and take every day as it comes. Though this process has been long and grueling, the veteran West G educator said she is happy to be alive every day and thanks God for giving her more time, great doctors, wonderful friends, co-workers and students.

Mrs. Fish would like to encourage everyone to participate in West Geauga’s own Relay For Life on May 6th, as all the proceeds go to cancer research.